Tuesday, June 7, 2011

One more thing. A final thought. A short story, and then you can forever close this little blogbook, if you have had the tenacity to read this far. There will be no post about our actual return and arrival home. The adventures have ended, the final flight will be joyful, but simple. Returning is not the story itself, and wont be told here.

But for this one little story.

Last night, the night before our departure, we stood in line waiting to grab a pizza, and a big, weatherbeaten woman with a warm smile and glittering eyes sitting with her husband leaned over to us. Where are you from? She asked in Spanish. We told her, and shortly after explained the whole year and the endless travels and how they had come to such a glorious conclusion.
Oh, she murmured, Que linda. How lovely.
Yes, we replied, we know.
Did you go to the north? she asked and we affirmed. Did you feel the spirit of Pachamama (mother earth) in the land and the people there? I can feel it. I love it. I sometimes take a handful of sweet earth, the earth of my homeland, and rub it on my hands, and I feel the spirit of the earth within me.
Yes, we replied, we understand.
Do you love nature? She asked. Do you love travel? Do you sometimes stand in the night and look up at the moon, la bella luna, and revel in its sweet and simple beauty? Sometimes I look at the moon for hours and ask it questions and even though I get no real response I know and understand, and I have my answers. Do you know what I mean?
Yes, we replied, we do.
Don't you love the way nature clears your mind? And travel. When I travel, I feel healthy and whole. My mind is cleared and my soul is cleaned. Oh how lovely. I wish I were young enough to travel. I wish I could travel with you, even for a week, even for a day. It is wonderful to be young.
Yes, we wordlessly replied, we know.
Do you watch the sunrise? Always, always try to watch the sunrise. Try never to miss it. It is so beautiful, so pure, so clean and good. Never let it pass you by. Every day has a sunrise. Every day. Be there for it. Do you understand?
Yes, we replied, we do.
Do you know how lucky you are? How lovely it is? How lucky you are?
Yes, we replied, we know. We do.
What you are doing, what you have done, it is very beautiful.
And she embraced us and said good bye and we said Yes, we know.

No comments:

Post a Comment